Sunday, April 19, 2009

Follow-up review: RjDj


So I finally caved and bought an iPhone, taking a big ole swig from the collective jug of kool-aid. Oh but it tastes so good!!

And, it gave me the opportunity for a follow-up review to my original post about that quirky RjDj app. Quick reminder:

"RjDj takes in sounds from your surroundings (voices, street noise, tapping on computer keyboards...) and plays it back to you as music compositions in real-time."

That's how I had described it the first time around.

Having now sampled it first hand, I'll revise that description. It's not so much music as a stream of psychedelic-sounding repetitions, as if a sound, rather than merely being heard and registered by your brain, instead lingered there a bit longer, bouncing off the sides of your skull and creating weird reverberating echos.

So... music, no.

But it is extremely interesting and weird and fascinating. I had it running while I was unloading the dishwasher, and the clanking of dishes (among my top 10 most annoying sounds) somehow turned into a strangely fitting noise-pop soundtrack to that most mundane of activities.

There's certainly more that can be done with the app, including sampling different "scenes," which are essentially different algorithms for manipulating the sound inputs.

I'll do some more exploring and post a follow-up if I discover anything nifty.

Check out the app here, and my original post here!